Hey friends! The most magical season in New England has finally arrived, and if you’re planning a fall family photo session in Boston area, Massachusetts, you’re in for a real treat. With the leaves turning all shades of beautiful, it’s the perfect time to capture some wonderful memories. To help you look and feel your best in front of the camera, I’ve got some style tips for your fall family session.
1# Choose your palette First
Pick a palette of 3-4 colors. Let this be your starting place. Think warm and cozy colors like deep browns, muted greens, burnt oranges. These shades play nicely with the autumn scenery and give your photos a classic, timeless vibe.
Neutrals like beige, taupe, and off white can create a timeless and sophisticated look
3# Layer it On
New England weather can be a little unpredictable, so layering is your best friend. Start with a comfy base layer like a long-sleeved shirt, and then add a snuggly sweater or a cool jacket. Layers not only keep you comfy but also add depth and style to your look.
4# Coordinate, Don’t Match
Colors that complement each other are the best choice. Don’t matchy-matchy. Need some inspiration? Check out the boards bellow.
Last but not least, always go for comfort. When you feel good in what you’re wearing, those smiles and candid moments will shine through in your photos.
Say NO to
- Neon or bright Colors: Bright colors can be distracting and may clash with the warm and earthy tones of fall. Avoid bright pinks, yellows, reds, and greens. Neutrals and earthy tones work best for family photos in general.
- All Black or All White Outfits: While black and white can be elegant, an entire family dressed in these colors can create a stark contrast with the fall surroundings. Incorporate some color to balance it out. instead of black use dark grey. Instead of white use beige off-white, or cream.
- Logos and Graphics: Clothing with large logos, slogans, or graphics can divert attention away from the family and the beautiful fall backdrop.
- Overly Busy Patterns: Extremely busy patterns, like bold stripes or checkerboards, can be visually overwhelming and may not photograph well.Some plaid patterns can be visually busy, especially if they have small or intricate designs. This busyness can sometimes distract from the main focus of the photos, which should be your family’s faces and expressions.Opt for simpler patterns or solids instead.
- Too Many Patterns: While some patterns can add interest to your photos, avoid having every family member wear a different pattern. It can create a chaotic look.
- Heavy Winter Coats: Unless it’s very cold, bulky winter coats can hide your outfits and make everyone look shapeless. Layer with stylish jackets or cardigans instead.
- Distracting Accessories: Excessive or distracting accessories like noisy jewelry, jangly bracelets, or large hats can divert attention from the family’s faces.
By following these tips, you’ll be ready to rock your fall family photo session in Boston. With the stunning fall foliage as your backdrop and these outfit ideas in your back pocket, you’re bound to capture some truly special moments. So go ahead, embrace the magic of autumn, snap those memories, and treasure them for years to come. Click HERE to book your fall family session.
Happy fall, friendsl! 🍂📸
Hey, I’m Alana! Your Family, Maternity and Newborn photographer in Boston area. I put ALL my heart into my work, which means I give 100% into capturing your story with my camera.